Monday, April 13, 2009

Potential Challenges

Now that I have more or less determined my final website, I feel that all the potential challenges are surfacing.

Informing vs Advocating
I never intended for this site to be anything other than informative. I am not advocating the use of sugar (or honey), but rather sharing my experiences with the treatment and sharing additional information and literature about the healing properties of sugar. However how to I go about informing without advocating? Do I need to remain neutral? I will likely need some disclaimer as well stating that I am not a medical professional and I am not promoting this course of treatment.

Pros vs Cons
How much should the role of neutrality play? Do I need to dedicate equal space to both pros and cons, success and failures of such a treatment? While I have found a lot of scholarship, I haven’t found too much about the cons of treating wounds with sugar (though I haven’t look too hard either). Furthermore, my experience only relates to the success of sugar packing and I have no first hand knowledge on failures. Is acknowledging the other side enough or do I need equal coverage of both sides?

Images
I have my own images from my experience; however I am unsure that I will be able to obtain further images due to copyright. Any suggestions? Is a primarily text-based site ok?



Potential Subpages and layout

Subpages (in no order)

- My experience
- Healing properties of sugar/why is works
- Human use
- Animal use
- Negatives/anti sugar treatment/cons?
- Links to scholarship

As for layout/colors, I don’t have any ideas. My personal preference is clean lines, uncluttered, and easy to read. Creams/whites/pale yellow background? I need help here. Also, because some images I do have are graphic, is it necessary to highlight them on the main page? I need advice and guidance here. I’m sure a lot of this will come together as I get started (it usually does), but I still need a better preliminary idea of where to go in terms of structure, layout, and colors.

4 comments:

  1. I think if you VERY clearly state your bias all over the site, it is okay for the site to be less neutral than not. I mean, if you're talking about something you like, it's absolutely pointless for you to say every five seconds, "This may or may not work, I'm not sure." I think a nice, "In my experience (not a doctor)..." would work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - put a little disclaimer on the side. It's your website, I think you certainly should feel free to be biased, but make sure to note it for anyone trying to find academic sources, maybe.

    As for colors, I find that taking a photograph, generally one I want on the website, and picking colors from that, works really, really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any answers for you. I do think you should state your experience. However, if you have some information about the cons of using sugar, it may make your argument stronger and give you credibility with the visitors who pop by on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the above posts. As long as you clearly state that the website is about treatment using sugar, you should be fine.

    ReplyDelete