Saturday, April 4, 2009

Project Ideas

Whenever anyone asks what my hobbies, skills, talents, or interests are, my initial reaction is always something along the lines of either none, I have no time for interests, or I am a boring person. Of course, those answers likely won't help me for the purpose of this class. Because I am doing so much right now (school full time, work full time, and a part time job), I really don't have too much time for anything. As a result, the majority of the free time I do have is dedicated to horses.

3 years ago, I bought a then 9 year old thoroughbred gelding named Subliminal (Subi). Since then, I work mostly to support him. As a result, he's become the center of my life. While in many ways (in terms of needs, expenses, etc.) he's like a child, fortunately I have the benefit of boarding him at a stable where he is cared for daily, even when my schedule does not allow me to go to the barn. As a result, I my final project will likely involve horses though I'm not entirely sure how.

About 5 months ago, Subi was having a little too much fun in the field and was kicked in the shoulder by a fellow pasture mate. Because of the location of the wound, the vets could not suture it and instead applied a technique that I had never heard of before--packing the wound with granulated sugar. It turns out, while not well known, this technique dates back to around 1700 BC and has been used on humans as well as animals. More recently, this technique has also been used in war zones to treat gun shot wounds when medical attention is not immediately available. Maybe I could relate my project to this type of treatment? I'm still working on ideas.

6 comments:

  1. My grandparents had a horse farm. They are absolutely beautiful animals, and the relationship between a person and their horse is something I've noticed popping up in interesting places. In culture, movies like "Lonely Are the Brave" and "True West"; in folklore there's tons of metaphors and parables, proverbs and zen kohns involving horses.

    By "type of treatment" do you mean folk-medicine for large animals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are sugar treatments also used on domestic animals such as dogs? I figure that, because dogs are a common pet, a website focusing on sugar treatments for injured dogs may have a relatively large audience.

    A website describing sugar treatment for gunshot wounds may also be useful - perhaps for individuals who are injured in gun accidents in areas where the ambulance is slow to arrive? I don't know much about guns, but this is just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really fascinating. I've never heard of that before either. Do you think that would fall under the category of homeopathic medicine? This just prompted me to look it up, and it looks like sugar is "rapidly bactericidal." Who knew that sugar could fight infections?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I am not mistaken, honey is bactricidal also and has been used in natural remedies.

    Horses sound like a great topic for a website. I have two former work colleagues who have special needs children and their kids have benefited so much from theraputic horse riding.

    Doreva

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of leeches being used to help stop the flow of bleeding for wounds, but I I've never heard of using sugar being used. Can you tell us a little more about how it works? Continuing on with what Doreva said, maybe your sight could discuss the theraputic benefits of caring for or riding a horse. What horse farms offer these services.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really interesting idea. Who would the audience be? Is it just for horse breeders interested in alternative medicine? or would you also discuss this treatment in people?

    ReplyDelete