Sunday, April 5, 2009

The power of sugar.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards sugar. From what I have read and seen, sugar (and honey) have been used to treat humans as well as domestic animals such as dogs. I don't know if it would fall under the category of homeopathic medicine, but it definitely is an alternative treatment. Prior to its use on my horse, I had never heard of it, but many of the medical (human) professionals I spoken to since, have all heard of using sugar to treat wounds.

While the sugar worked well for Subi, I can only imagine the problems we would have faced if he was kicked in the summer rather than the end of October... Bees, flies, etc.

I'm including some graphic photos over the course of the injury. They are graphic so look away if this bothers you.

Day 1:
First day of packing:



Three weeks later:


Recently (no scar, though the hair's not quite the same length as the rest of his. Once he sheds out completely, you won't even be able to tell):



The idea regarding therapeutic riding is a good one, but I have no first hand knowledge about this. I know horses, but not therapeutic riding. I don't know that I have enough original content to add to this nor do I have enough interest (which sounds terrible, but...).

4 comments:

  1. The therapeutic use of sugar/honey sounds like a great idea, even if it's not entirely horse-related. Sugar and honey are inherently appealing subjects, I think, so a site highlighting their mostly-unknown medicinal value (for curing more than kids' hiccups, at least) should be appealing. Between describing and showing their use for various animals (which seems the most unique aspect of your site), noting their practical use for humans, and providing other related historical/medical/zoological info as needed, it seems like it could produce an interesting mix of content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this website idea, although it may be hard to find enough content to create a whole site around it. What other sections would you include besides a 'History' section and a section that highlights your experience in applying this kind of suture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you considering the therapeutic uses of sugar for just animals or are you going to include uses for people too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting. I would definitely look into the Egyptians use of honey as an antiseptic.

    ReplyDelete